Are you a canoeist? Then today’s project is for you! If your canoe has webbing or cane seats that have seen better days, you might be looking for an alternative seat material. A sling fabric like Phifertex Plus Mesh or Sunbrella Sling could be great, durable options for your canoe. We’re going to show you how to replace an old webbing canoe seat with new sling material.
Sling material is a good choice for canoes because it dries quickly, is easy to clean, and is strong enough to support your weight. Sling materials are also mildew, UV and fade resistant so they will stay strong and beautiful even after a lot of use out on the water.
If you want to keep the look of your canoe more traditional, select a neutral sling like Sunbrella Sling Baron Oak, which can mimic the coloring of a cane seat. Or go for a fun modern twist and use a bold color, like the bright orange Phifertex Plus Snappy.
In this video you will learn how to take out your canoe seat, remove the old webbing, and replace it with a sling mesh material.
How to Make a Sling Canoe Seat:
- Remove the seat from the canoe.
- Cut the webbing off the seat frame.
- Measure the frame opening.
- Cut the fabric with scissors to the frame size, plus three inches on each side.
- Lay the fabric on the frame. Make a mark on the fabric at the outside of each corner of the frame. Use a square to create a rectangle from the mark made to the edges of the fabric. Cut out a rectangle of fabric from each corner.
- Lay the fabric out and place the frame on top of it so the underside of the seat is facing up.
- Fold the fabric over the top of the frame. Pull taut and place three staples in each side.
- Cut a diagonal slit in the fabric at each of the corners.
- Wrap the fabric around the frame boards and place more staples both on the top and inside edges of the frame.
- Re-install the seat in the canoe.
You can find all the materials you need to re-do your canoe seat in sling fabric at www.sailrite.com.
What do you think is the most comfortable canoe seat material? Would you ever switch to sling? Share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comments!