Tenara® Sewing Thread is truly a remarkable product. What makes a thread remarkable? How about one with a lifetime warranty? Tenara is so strong and durable that it won’t break down when exposed to UV rays, cleaning agents, saltwater or extreme weather. In fact, it often outlasts the fabric that it’s sewn in! That’s why Gore, the company that makes Tenara, guarantees it for life.
Tenara is made from a synthetic fluoropolymer and the unique, patented formulation of this material is the source of its strength. We thought it would be fun to share some Tenara Sewing Thread trivia facts with you today. To learn more about the benefits of Tenara for your outdoor sewing, read our post on how to Extend the Life of Outdoor Projects.
7 Fun Facts About Tenara Thread
- Tenara thread is unaffected by UV radiation and is not harmed by chemicals, even bleach.
- Besides being used in marine applications, Tenara thread is also used to sew inflatable aircraft hangers, convertible tops, moon bounces, and artificial turf.
- Fabric made from this fiber was used to create the roof over center court Wimbledon.
- Types of fluoropolymer films are the only synthetic surface to which a gecko’s sticky toes won’t stick.
- The first major order Gore received was for 7.5 miles of insulated ribbon cable for the city of Denver, Colorado.
- Tenara thread is made by W.L. Gore & Associates, the same company that makes GORE-TEX® fabrics, among many other products.
- Gore products are used all over the world and beyond: to repair hearts, to protect astronauts in their spacesuits and to power the Mars rover.
Try the unbeatable strength of Tenara thread for your next outdoor project! Tenara is available at www.sailrite.com.