Monster II Balance Wheel: No Electricity Required

2013_July_Monster-II

We all like to conserve a little energy. We turn off lights and unplug unnecessary cords, but would you ever think to sew without electricity? With the Monster II Balance Wheel you can do just that, without sacrificing any sewing power. The Monster II Balance Wheel was designed as an upgrade for the Sailrite Ultrafeed Sewing Machines to allow you to sew powerfully without electricity. Using the hand crank on the Monster II, you can create enough power to sew through a full 8 layers of Sunbrella fabric.

The Monster II Balance Wheel is a Sailrite original and has been crafted for power. This wheel is 7 pounds of solid, nickel-plated steel and twice the size of a typical portable sewing machine balance wheel. When the hand crank is attached, the extra weight of the wheel provides plenty of power to the needle and works with inertia to make hand cranking effortless.

The option to sew without power is great for cruisers conserving power onboard. Even on land, some sewers find that they prefer the slow control they get when hand cranking versus sewing under power.

To use the hand-cranking feature of the Monster II Balance Wheel, first remove the belt from the balance wheel. Then attach the plastic hand crank handle to the wheel, using the Allen wrench. Finally, you may want to unplug the power cord from the back housing above the motor so it doesn’t get in the way of your hand cranking. Once you’re all set up, turn the wheel towards you and begin sewing! If you want to sew in reverse, use the reverse lever.

See the Monster II Balance Wheel in action in this video.

 

With or without electricity, the Monster II Balance Wheel lets you sew with maximum power and slow, manageable speeds. Upgrade your Ultrafeed to the Monster II at www.sailrite.com.

Do you have any experience with hand-powered sewing? Which way do you prefer to sew?

3 comments
  1. TonyT said:

    “A flywheel is a rotating mechanical device that is used to store rotational energy. Flywheels have a significant moment of inertia and thus resist changes in rotational speed. The amount of energy stored in a flywheel is proportional to the square of its rotational speed. Energy is transferred to a flywheel by applying torque to it, thereby increasing its rotational speed, and hence its stored energy. Conversely, a feel releases stored energy by applying torque to a mechanical load, thereby decreasing its rotational speed.”

    A sewing machine needs the most powerful when the needle is penetrating the fabric, maybe 20% of the complete rotational cycle of the machine. The balance wheel stores energy during the other 80% of the cycle allowing use of that energy when most needed.

    I bought one for my LSZ-1… Wow, what an amazing increase in performance. The wheel weights about as much as a normal home machine in total.

    I also use the hand wheel when I require very precise stitching as when sewing leather. Yes it is an additional investment, but I am very happy with it.

  2. Kasha said:

    Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of info on your site. Im really impressed by it.
    Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: